Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Wednesday Night Lessons 101

Story of Saul/Paul
Text: Acts 9:1-28
1. Welcome song
* Brought my boombox and played "If You're Happy and You Know It Clap Your Hands...."
* Made sure to welcome each kid by name.
2. Bible time
I have a "Treasure Box" decorated up in which I keep enough children's Bibles for each kid in the class. At this time, I tell them, "It's time to use our Bibles! Go and grab one that you want to use from the treasure box!" I have one picture Bible I keep in there for the non-reader in my class. Once they all have their Bibles, I have them sit down at the table and we do some Bible drills (see below).
I have drawn on our blackboard a simple open book marked with Old Testament half and New Testament half. I also have written out MATTHEW, MARK, LUKE, JOHN. At this point in the lesson I go over these words with them.

3. Story Time
* I introduced ACTS to them. (it comes after John), showed it to them in their Bibles, and mention that is where our story comes from today.
* I read the story to them, and brought my big flashlight in for special effects.
4. Break Time
* The kids have been pretty ant-sy the past couple of weeks, so I introduced a "break time" into our 45 min class time. I allowed them to stand up and move around, talk to each other, play around etc while I prepared the snack and craft materials.
5. Snack time
* Mystery bags (paper bags with question marks all over them). "Just like Paul couldn't see, we can't see what our snack is....put your hand in the bag and see if you can guess without using your eyes!" (Had cheese puffs)
* Prayed before eating
6. Memory verse review
* This month our goal is to memorize Galations 5:13 and John 3:16. If everyone in the class gets it done, I've promised a paper party at my house for them all.
* I had written John 3:16 on the 2nd blackboard in big colorful chalk last week. This week, I printed out word pictures and glued them to small pieces of flannel. Then, I arranged them on the flannel board and we read them out loud as a class. After a couple times, I removed one of the pictures and they tried to say the whole thing again. It worked really well. Sample Here
7. Mailbox
* I created a carboard mailbox out of a Kleenex box, construction paper, and stickers. This I hung from the ceiling (high enough so they can't really reach it but I can). I wrote a card to each student and put it in the box. At this time we "distributed" the mail. Not all the kids were there, so I left the extra cards in the box for next week.
8. Close
* We reviewed the lesson about Paul, and our Galatians 3:15 verse. Then, I briefly told them about what to look forward to next weeks class. I had them help me clean up/put away the Bibles. Then we went out in the backyard and played Pom-Pom-Pull-Away until their parents were ready to go.

Bible Drills:
* "The Bible is known as the 'Sword of the Spirit'
* Have the kids sit on their Bibles and then I say...."Ready?" "Draw your swords!" (they lift them above their heads) "Find the book of Psalms.." (we also know Genesis, Matthew, and are learning how to find simple chapters and verses) "GO!" (at which point, they drop their Bibles down to the table and see who can find it first.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails