We were quite excited to eat it, since the last time I think we had it was our trip last February. Here is how to make it:
1 Cup iddly rice (special kind of rice... a type of white rice)
1/2 cup urdu dal
1/4 cup dal (this is like lentils)
10-15 fenugreek if you have (I didn't have this)
- Soak 6-8 hours (I did this while at work)
- Grind together and add a little water to make a pancake type batter. (I used our blender)
- Let this sit 12 hours (overnight). Add salt to taste.
- Pour 1/2 cup batter on a griddle and spread in a circular motion till thin (like a crepe).
- Fry till golden brown on one side, adding a bit of oil to the edges to make them crisp. Flip over and cook on the other side too.
- Fill with fried onions, potatoes, green chilies etc. Fold in half, with the nice brown side on the outside.