Saturday, April 5, 2008

Dosa!

This is Dosa! (An Indian stuffed pancake...sort of) A friend of ours told me how to make it and so I tried it for the first time this morning! It turned out wonderfully tasty....horay! We ate it with Sambar (red gravy) and potato curry (inside....the stuffing part). I also made chai tea to go along with it. What a nice breakfast!
We were quite excited to eat it, since the last time I think we had it was our trip last February. Here is how to make it:
1 Cup iddly rice (special kind of rice... a type of white rice)
1/2 cup urdu dal
1/4 cup dal (this is like lentils)
10-15 fenugreek if you have (I didn't have this)
  • Soak 6-8 hours (I did this while at work)
  • Grind together and add a little water to make a pancake type batter. (I used our blender)
  • Let this sit 12 hours (overnight). Add salt to taste.
  • Pour 1/2 cup batter on a griddle and spread in a circular motion till thin (like a crepe).
  • Fry till golden brown on one side, adding a bit of oil to the edges to make them crisp. Flip over and cook on the other side too.
  • Fill with fried onions, potatoes, green chilies etc. Fold in half, with the nice brown side on the outside.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails