Thursday, November 19, 2009

Not Easily Offended

" [Love] is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily provoked, it keeps no record of wrongs."
1 Corinthians 13:5

I have been meditating on this verse recently....mulling and thinking and looking at my own attitudes and opinions. And I must admit, I do not feel like I am living out this verse at my best! I have found (just as recently as yesterday) that I can be so easily offended! And it's just little things.....things that really shouldn't get me riled up and defensive. But I find out that I have opinions on the randomest things :) *sigh*

And feeling offended, this verse will not leave my head! It's a good reminder to me that I shouldn't get all bent out of shape about things of no eternal significance. But I find I cannot bend my will as easily as I might like. That I really DO need to depend on Christ helping me....because my feelings are sticky....they stick and stick and stick to me...

Anyway, here are some interesting things to think about if you are feeling offended:

  1. God does not want you to be easily offended or provoked. He wants to you learn self-control and gentleness. 1 Cor 13:5
  2. Proverbs 18:19 says, "An offended brother is more unyielding than a fortified city." This is not something you want people to say you are! Work at being compatible and pleasant. Don't be difficult to get along with....the world does not revolve around you.
  3. Proverbs 17:9 says, "He who covers and forgives an offense seeks love, but he who repeats or harps on a matter separates even close friends." Take these opportunities to thank God for His love and help. Thank Him that He wants to teach you to love and forgive, by giving you a difficult person to work with. And take the opportunity to tell God your grievances, not others....even if it means not griping to your close friends or spouse....respect the other person enough not to slander their name to others.
  4. When you feel offended, ask yourself, "Is there any truth to this? Do I need to make some changes?"
  5. Give yourself time! I have found about 1/2 day is the time I need to cool down from a topic or situation before I can think through it rationally and not emotionally! Oh boy.
  6. Here is a quote from Keith Hester, "Love is not just how we act toward people, but how we receive them."
  7. Aim for this: Proverbs 19:11 "A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense."
  8. And this: James 3:17 " But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere."
  9. Read this article : Don't Get Offended or this one Not Easily Offended

1 comment:

tani said...

Great post! I like these thoughts. Something I need to work on, too. It also makes me think of Ecc. 7:21-22. Thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails