I must look funny today. I've received funny looks from about 4 co-workers already this morning. And I really thought brown went with purple......well, I'm not going home to change now.
I learned something new on my walk to work today too....Seagulls are gross. For some reason, I didn't know seagulls were omnivorous....maybe I knew but just not in a practical way....I mean, they ate sandwhich meat and picnic foods and bread, but that's all I knew. On my walk, the seagulls were pretty noisy above me. I dodged them carefully (because of a previous engagement with them....I knew to look out for "bombs" from above....they aren't always as pretty in groups as they seem on TV or movies...you gotta watch out for "splats"). As I looked up, I heard a big "plop," and I thought, "Uh oh..." but it wasn't what I thought it was. It was actually something they were eating and fighting over. (Sorry for the gross out factor here) To my surprise, I noticed it was another little bird...a sparrow (dead already)!
Like I said, I didn't know, in a practical way, that seagulls ate other birds. :(
So, in my new-found curiosity, I have looked up these wonderful facts for you about Seagulls....enjoy:
- Seagulls nest on the ground
- They will eat live food (often fish and crabs...and now we know, birds)
- They are actually coastal birds, not sea birds
- They like crowds, nesting in colonies
- They lay 2-3 eggs
- Seagulls can drink both salt and fresh water
- They live 5-15 years
- Some do migrate in the winter
- They are found as far north as Alaska and down to Mexico
Here are some internet links to bird facts: