Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sprouts

My sprouts grew! I've eaten sprouts before, but this was my first time growing them myself....and it was very fun! Thanks to Abbi! Above is my first batch. It's all gone now. Time for more.

I stopped at the health food store and looked around yesterday. I found some hand-outs about sprouting that are really quite interesting! You can sprout all these different things:
  • Alfalfa
  • Barley
  • Buckwheat
  • Clover
  • Mung beans
  • Kidney beans
  • Lentils
  • Oats
  • Peas
  • Radish
  • Soybeans
  • Sunflower
  • Wheat

It also had a section of "seeds to sprout together," like 2T. alfalfa, 4 T mung, and 1 tsp. radish for salads, sandwiches, and omletes. Or how about 2 T mung, 1 T sunflouer, 2 T lentil, 2 T garbanzo - cook and mash sprouts and use as sandwhich spread!

The basics of sprouting are:

  1. Sort and soak
  2. Drain
  3. Harvest (after some days)

It's best to eat them withing 4-5 days of harvest, but some you can freeze for later use!

Then it had recipes to use the sprouts in, along with their nutrition facts and length of growth peiod.

I told Concha the other day I'm going to try growing lettuce and grass inside soon too. Just to have some greenery...and I guess I'll eat the lettuce. :)

1 comment:

Martha said...

I just ordered sprouting seeds this week! You can also do broccoli sprouts. I am excited to start making some.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails