1. We set up a tent in the backyard, and got our attendance calendar and Bibles ready.
2. We blew up black balloon "quail," and hid them on the ceiling. (pre-class). We also laid out some "mana" and shut the basement door so the kids wouldn't find it ahead of time.
3. For class, we started outside in the tent. We talked about why we bring our Bibles to class. (I had promised them a Dinosaur party if they could bring their Bibles every week. After thinking about it, I realized they probably are bringing their Bibles for that reason only. So....we talked about why we bring our Bibles so we can USE them at church....that we come to church to learn God's word, and if we don't bring our Bibles, how can we learn God's word? I also reminded them they can read it at home, not just at church, and that they themselves can read it....not just rely on us teachers)
4. We told the story of the Isralites wandering in the dessert. How God led them by cloud and fire, and how He provided mana and quail for them.
5. We played follow the leader. The kids were the Israelites. Keren and I were cloud and fire respectively.
Here they are following the pillar of fire (me)
Here they are following the pillar of cloud (Keren)
6. We "followed" God's cloud to find mana....in the basement.
7. We "followed" God's pillar of fire at night, and saw how quail fell from the sky!
8. We finished by eating mana, playing with quail, and prayer.