Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Hard Game

So, when I was in high school, some friends taught me this fun game while we were on a trip. I have yet to find others, besides them, that like the game! :) Yet, I will share it with you. This is the game of SET. The objective is to find "sets" of 3 cards and withdraw them from the game. As the cards go, the dealer adds new cards (creating new set options) until the deck is used up. The winner is the person who has claimed the most "sets."
The tricky part is learning what makes a "set." Basically, there are 3 different colors (red, purple, & green), 3 different shapes (diamonds, ovals, and squiggles), 3 different numbers (1, 2, and 3), and 3 different "fills" (solid, striped, and empty). You must pick a combination of each in order to win. The rule is....each set must be 3 different cards, or 3 the same, not a combination of 2-1. Example: Let's say you want to make a set (3 cards) using 1,2,3. (above) You must pick one 1, one 2, one 3. They must either be ALL the same color and same fill, or all different. Say I pick the purple squiggle (1st row, 2nd column), the green 2 (last row, last column), and the red squiggle (first row, last column). Yes, I have all three numbers in sequence. But NO, I have two cards that have the same fill (striped) AND I have two cards that are squiggles and one that is not. This is NOT a set. BUT..... see below.


This IS a set....still, 1,2,3 sequence, but we've managed to have ALL colors different, AND all fills different, YET they are all the same shape. Make sense? How about seeing if you can find another combination in the picture above? There is one more.

This is a good game for learning patterns. I believe if you're good at puzzles, this game comes easier. It also comes easier with practice. This is the only picture of the game I took the other day. But I will try and do a couple more (later this week), just for fun. See if you can solve the SETS!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails