Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Pie Crust

I love my mom's pie crust. If you ask me, she makes the best crust in the world (maybe you don't want to ask me! tee hee). It's flaky, and light and just melts in your mouth and is perfect with cinnamon sugar on top! So, seeing as I'm her daughter and all....and since I have the recipie...I thought I would share, with pictures, the Art of Pie Crust Making. (Although, I'm still learning myself....but this batch did turn out nice!) So, here we go:

1) The Recipie
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • dash of salt
Mix these together till crumbly. I use a fork. A friend of mine has THE coolest pastry cutter that works lovely too.

2) Step Two
  • Add 1/3 to 1/4 cup ice cold water (until a soft dough is formed)
I used my fork to mix in the first little bit of water, then I used my hand so I could tell when it was the right consistensy. I leave mine a little sticky to the touch because I put it in the fridge for a while and it will stiffen up. Also, when I roll it out, I will use more flour.

3) The Proceedure

  • Put the soft dough in the fridge for at least a half hour. (Till stiff)
  • Remove from fridge. Sprinkle flour on the counter/cutting board and plop your dough on it.
  • Using a rolling pin, roll out into a thin circle...about 1/4 inch thin.
  • Place in your pie tin, trimming off excess.
  • Re-roll the excess to make 2nd crust etc.

4) The Result

  • After baking, enjoy your flaky crust! Below I am making small apple pie tarts in my muffin pan. With a little cinnamon sugar and some ice cream, they are delicious warm!

5) Last minute Tips

  • If you end up using too much flour = you will have a stiff and tough crust
  • If you don't have enough water = you will have a crumbly and tough crust
  • If you knead it too much = you will have a rubbery and tough crust

1 comment:

Jamie - Family Focused Fun said...

I should try this! I have wanted to make a pie but just never have! Thanks for the comments on my blog! I noticed you like the Chronicles of Narnia on your side bar. I just started reading them! Very good! Have a great day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails