1) The Recipie
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- dash of salt
2) Step Two
- Add 1/3 to 1/4 cup ice cold water (until a soft dough is formed)
3) The Proceedure
- Put the soft dough in the fridge for at least a half hour. (Till stiff)
- Remove from fridge. Sprinkle flour on the counter/cutting board and plop your dough on it.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out into a thin circle...about 1/4 inch thin.
- Place in your pie tin, trimming off excess.
- Re-roll the excess to make 2nd crust etc.
4) The Result
- After baking, enjoy your flaky crust! Below I am making small apple pie tarts in my muffin pan. With a little cinnamon sugar and some ice cream, they are delicious warm!
- If you end up using too much flour = you will have a stiff and tough crust
- If you don't have enough water = you will have a crumbly and tough crust
- If you knead it too much = you will have a rubbery and tough crust